Elena

How do you name your characters?

she, her Bucharest, Romania
Writing Wrangler Roleplay Admin Roleplayer

Do you use the names of people you know, name lists on the net, your favourite names? Do you take into account the popularity of the name in the historical period you are writing in, the ethnicity or religion of the character?

I do... all these. 🙂

She/Her Norway
Roleplayer

It depends a little on the genre that I'm roleplaying in and where the roleplay is located.

With Harry Potter roleplays, pretty much regardless of when they take place and where I feel like I can get away with a lot of names that would look strange/feel dated in a RL roleplay. Depending on the setting (if it's set in the UK only, the whole world, the US, on a specific continent like Europe etc.) I might be able to get away with having a lot more diverse names in terms of where in the world they're from too which is nice.

For anything else that's more based in RL (which to me basically means supernatural roleplays) I tend to keep in mind where the RP is set. Because while there's a lot of people moving about, it might look a little strange if all my characters have very Norwegian names when the roleplay is set in say France and they're not related. It's not that I can't/won't do it, but I might limit myself and keep it in mind more.

Otherwise I like looking up meanings of names and for HP characters I pretty frequently have  my characters either have a parent, grandparent or aunt/uncle who's interested in it just so I can get away with being a real nerd about name meanings.

Kat Her, She
Roleplay Admin

For a while I tried to have a character with a different starting letter of the alphabet. I got all the way to H before I gave up. Most of the time I look at the background of the character. Are they greek? Russian?  Things like that. THen I look for something easy to remember. I'm pretty bad with names so I go for the ones that I won't have issues with.

She/her Australia
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer

It depends on the genre.

For history, I look at names from that area and time period along with any other factors that could influence it.

For medieval fantasy, I button mash until I like the look of something that comes out.

For real life/post-apoc, I go with names that I like.

Dae she/her United States
Roleplay Admin

I form their personality first then mold their name to their story. I like to learn about my character as I work with them and the name is usually the last thing to come to me.

Crys she/her PA - USA
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Code Engineer

This will depend a lot on the character I am trying to make. Sometimes I will get very creative and come up with creative names that are specific to the character and describe them; or I will look through baby site names and look for unique names that I don't often see. It all depends on the character really and what they like. 

Captain Whatever PNW, USA
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer

On CW I'm rapidly running out of plant names.