Sign in to follow this  
Rune

Dumb Things That Annoy You

Captain Whatever PNW, USA
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer

They hurt no one. They aren't "bad." But they make you narrow your eyes and recoil like a cockroach in the sun.

And you have no good reason for it.

For example: When staff listings on headers/sidebars have images that have nothing to do with the genre.

Thistle She, Her, Hers Australia
Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Theme Tinkerer Code Engineer

-> IC post templates. I just can not. No.

-> When someone I'm RPing to writes "and they were wearing this" and the word 'this' is a link to an outfit... I've used images OOC "I'm not sure if I described it with justice, so this is kinda what I'm picturing" but outright posting the image instead of even trying to describe the [whatever]... >.>

• Like 2

Writing Wrangler Roleplayer Roleplay Admin

(Curious, by staff listings do you mean the avatar that represents each individual?)

• Link to chat instead of chat being visible on site (most of the time it's harmless, but sometimes... I CAN'T LOAD THE CHAT 😧 )
• "Muse" templates (of which char they have muse for and which they don't, for example)
• IC templates where youg gotta hover to read, or is a white template on black skin or a black template on white skin contrast buuurns
• I think character banners in signatures were a little annoying, so I'm kind of glad the trend died out (at least on animanga forums)
• When a forum floats aaall the way to the side with a huge gap of blankness on the opposing side.

That's all I can think of at the moment. x:

Jess She/Her Massachusetts
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Graphics Maker

- IC post templates

- Text color changes for IC posts, especially in dialogue. Please, no!

- Not adjusting the line-height when doing handwriting fonts (I weep at overlap and also squint way too much trying to suss out what it says)

- Signatures for IC posts because it breaks up the flow of a thread

@Maneki-neko - Yes. The sections of the board that show who is staff. When those images are, say, pokemon on a modern fantasy site it throws me off. There's no reason for me to hate it. But here I am.

• Thanks 1

Thistle She, Her, Hers Australia
Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Theme Tinkerer Code Engineer
8 hours ago, eisenbuns said:

- Text color changes for IC posts, especially in dialogue. Please, no!

Ugggh this!! I can’t even stand it when the dialogue is made bold. Just no. I’ll get to it when I get to it lol. The only exception for me is dragon speech, and honestly I find that interruptive and all get up, and I’m part of that fandom! 

Rosalieart/Capricci/Stella Polaris Female NJ
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Code Engineer
Posted (edited)

When the site's layout is the same as the last 18 sites I've seen. I get it, it's a trend, there aren't a lot of options that don't cost money right now. But it's so maddening. 

I can give a little insight on colored fonts for speech! though my case is not the norm. We use a player/GM style where you're not playing against individual characters in one of our main thread types, which means the mod is handling all the NPCs, wild critters, and world moving around you like in DnD; we use different colored speech so that when you need to check which NPC said what, you can do so at a glance-and-skim without having to dig through the post where other things may also be happening. The mods have colors they write in because they will use that color to edit into other posts and tag them or add notes etc to profiles as necessary... but it bugs me when members do it, especially if they're not using a mod's color tag, since the mods' tags are coded into the skins' css so they have appropriate contrast no matter which skin you're on.

I'll also use it in posts where I have multiple characters of my own at once -- which is more common than you'd think, since I also play my character's pokemon. Since the human can't always understand what the pokemon are saying to one another, the color can help to denote which bits of dialogue the character "skips" or doesn't understand/know/hear... this is getting off topic but yeah XD; TL;DR there are reasons for colored text in certain genres/styles, but outside of those circumstances I get why it's frustrating.

Edited by Rosalie
RAMBLING
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kat Her, She
Roleplay Admin
On 9/27/2018 at 1:40 AM, ThistleProse said:

Ugggh this!! I can’t even stand it when the dialogue is made bold. Just no. I’ll get to it when I get to it lol. The only exception for me is dragon speech, and honestly I find that interruptive and all get up, and I’m part of that fandom! 

That's very interesting, because I can't STAND it when people don't bold their speech. My eyes aren't what they used to be and sometimes I get lost trying out if something is spoken or not. I've even had to go so far as to copy and past the post in a word document and take it apart so I know what I'm responding to. 

A HUGE pet peeve for me is when I have to carry a thread because they only respond and don't add new information to the story. When done enough time I lose my mind creatively and it takes energy to just open the thread and look at it.  I think this is a common occurrence.

I also hate when i can't find the darn navigation strip. Getting around a site can be pretty trying when it's hidden in tiny words somewhere I'm not used to. This isn't to say I wouldn't join a site that did, but I get frustrated when I can't navigate easily. 

• Thanks 2

Sadri She/Her Australia
The Conductress Roleplay Admin Resource Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Theme Tinkerer Code Engineer

I love bolded speech XD. I don't like coloured speech, because if I change the skin, it might look awful down the track. But that's literally the only reason why.

My pet peeve comes from MMO roleplay more than anything, where occasionally you'd find players who described their character's actions as if they depended on something.

"He would lift a hand and move the hair from his eyes" -- -would... BUT DID HE? DID SOMETHING STOP HIM? 

And it's generally meant as a certainty, something I write as "He lifted a hand to move the hair from his eyes" but it reads very differently to me. And confusing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jess She/Her Massachusetts
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Writing Wrangler Graphics Maker
On 10/3/2018 at 4:37 PM, KatherineEspair said:

That's very interesting, because I can't STAND it when people don't bold their speech. My eyes aren't what they used to be and sometimes I get lost trying out if something is spoken or not. I've even had to go so far as to copy and past the post in a word document and take it apart so I know what I'm responding to. 

I just wanted to say, thanks for this! This isn't something I'd ever really considered before. I don't bold my character speech, but a lot of my site's members do. I don't mind reading it, but this actually made me stop to think about the benefits beyond just immediate visibility. Thank you!

• Like 1

She/Her
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Theme Tinkerer

I'm another in the bolded speech camp, for much the same reasons! Mostly because RP posts are not written like dialogue is written in books. In 'proper' text formatting (air quotes because really it's still a stylistic choice but that writing for you) you're supposed to start a new paragraph for every line of dialogue, as well as if the person who is speaking changes. This is for ease of reading - your eyes are easily drawn to the text and it's easy to go back and pick the dialogue out, and figure out which character said what.

Dialogue is not supposed to be within chunks of text like how most RP posts do it. But for an RP post, at least for me, it seems excessive to have paragraph breaks for every line of dialogue  - who wants to scroll or swipe down for a million years to get to a certain point in a thread? We value more compact posts. But that usually causes things like dialogue to get lost among the shuffle. So how do you make dialogue stand out in a more compact post, and easily differentiate between who's speaking (if you're doing more than one character in a post)? Bold speech, and sometimes colored, too.

-----------

On topic: when someone goes through the effort to get graphics for whatever (mini profile, post templates, etc) but don't make them the right size so the aspect ratio is all screwed up and the image is skewed or squished. Totally get that maybe you were on mobile and don't have a program, but there are sites that can resize just straight from online. I will even resize for you. Honey pls. Lemme fix that height and width.

Special characters in names.

I don't know how to do that fancy thing. I will never tag you.

Catherine she/her
Roleplayer Roleplay Admin Writing Wrangler
On 10/4/2018 at 12:45 AM, Sadrienne said:

My pet peeve comes from MMO roleplay more than anything, where occasionally you'd find players who described their character's actions as if they depended on something.

"He would lift a hand and move the hair from his eyes" -- -would... BUT DID HE? DID SOMETHING STOP HIM? 

And it's generally meant as a certainty, something I write as "He lifted a hand to move the hair from his eyes" but it reads very differently to me. And confusing.

This is something that bothers me endlessly in RP. But then, that's something I notice a lot with RPers with little experience writing outside of RPing - they use needless and tedious ways of describing what's happening in a post to make it sound prettier. Purple prose is everywhere. It's especially prevalent on Tumblr, but I've seen it on forums, too. I don't think the act of drinking a glass of milk needs a full paragraph to describe it, thanks.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:11 AM, daedric prince said:

First person POV writing.

It makes me cringe and immediately back out of anything.

And while we're at it, second person POV writing. I'm fine with this in fiction outside of RP, but in RP it's just awkward. Stick with third person limited omniscient.

Sign in to follow this