Sign in to follow this  
Maneki-neko

What grabs your attention?

Writing Wrangler Roleplayer Roleplay Admin

When looking for a site (or even not looking, you just happened to stumble upon something that piqued your interest), what about a site would grab your attention?

she, her Bucharest, Romania
Writing Wrangler Roleplay Admin Roleplayer

The story, first and foremost. Then the rules and the bio (I must love the site to go through dohtml pains).

I don't care for coding, graphics, etc. (as long as I can read them).

Edited by Elena

She/Hers/Her
Roleplayer

The first thing would grab my attention would (naturally) be the graphics. However, I know that although some sites can look really pretty, their organisation might not be the best — so that's the second thing I look for: organisation. If one isn't too organised and everything is clumped together, it really turns me off.

The third thing I look at is the clarity of the rules: if the rules aren't too clear, then I'm not joining because I'd have too many questions and most of them tend to go unanswered or even if they were answered, it sounds wishy-washy and not firm. The fourth thing I look at is the activity level of the members as well — is one member playing too much characters? Because there have been cases were on a site, I feel like I'm writing with just one person because they hold the majority of the characters on a site.

Another key thing I look at is moderation and creativity as well. While I do appreciate special events on a site, I also like it if there was an actual overall plot for all members to participate in while having their own personal character arcs as well — it also means there's a lot of material to fall back on as well — and that is for the creativity section. As for moderation, there needs to be a limit to make it fair to everyone, in regards to their characters and activity. For instance, I'm a fan of this sort of moderation: if someone cannot handle, let's say, three characters... just archive one and make sure that they focus on those two characters before they're allowed to make another one. 

I think I have a lot more but these are the general guidelines I've set for myself when looking at RP sites so far. I also look at the writing levels of the site; not too picky about this because writing can be improved; it's just a matter of whether a person wants to or not.

Edited by natalie.sykes

Poe She, Her Eastern US
Code Engineer Roleplayer Theme Tinkerer Roleplay Admin

The main thing that catches me is the coding, because I love coding myself plus aesthetics are a big thing for me. I am the type that likes to spend a lot of time on the site when I logon, and I prefer darker skins to lighter skins, as they aren't so eye burning. I also like codes that allow the c-box or discord embed to be tucked away in the side so I don't have to look at it if I don't want to. I like codes that have the navigation bars fixed to the top of the skin, because it makes it easy for me to click home when I am done reading a really log thread instead of having to scroll to the top. After thinking about it, a lot of thing I look for are due to laziness. I like a site that allows me to get to where I need to be with as few clicks as possible.

Dae she/her United States
Roleplay Admin

First things first, aesthetic. If a site looks hastily put together and kinda junky, I won't want to stick around. If it has the same skin that literally every other site does, I'm not gonna differentiate it at all.

Also, the members. Are they friendly? Are they cliquey?

And, of course, plot.

She/Her
Roleplay Admin Roleplay Admin Roleplayer Theme Tinkerer

Honestly, if we're talking about something other than the aesthetics/coding/skin, the first thing that I notice when I'm just browsing around or doing ads is the site's setting.

I'm a sucker for unique settings - whether this is a wholly original world or set in somewhere unique in our world. I once saw a site that was set in Ohio. I've never seen a site set in Ohio. As someone who was born and raised there, I was ecstatic that someone wanted to put a site there! (Side note, I am very much not fussed about setting accuracy - if someone wanted to make Columbus out to be like NYC I couldn't care less lol which might be why I get more excited about settings other than usual places.)  I picked Alaska as the setting for my site to both pay homage to a site I was on when I first started to RP, and because Alaska is a unique setting - I've only ever seen a handful of boards set there.

The next is how they utilize that unique setting - so if this is an AU ASOIAF board, I want to see what changes the site made to the lore (I'm a sucker for AUs too lol). If you're set in a small town in Montana and you're a sandbox, what kind of options does the site have in terms of subforums, businesses, places to RP? I've seen some really cute business names and ideas that have sent my mind spinning with ideas before I've really taken a look at the site in depth, lol.

Even if I don't have time to join another site (and I never do x.x) aside from skinning/aesthetics/coding these are the things that draw me in. I secretly root for them and want to pop into their cbox or discord like "hi your site is amazing and I love you keep it up" but I don't because I am shy and I hate to give the impression "love your site even though I'll never be able to join". xD But I totally have a list of places I would love to join if I could based on settings alone.

Sign in to follow this